Skip to main content

Criminal Rehabilitation Application to Enter Canada | Ep. 1

Our Canadian Immigration Attorney Tiffany McKenzie will break down the process for legally entering Canada with a criminal record. If you have a DUI/DWI conviction or other offense, and are no longer permitted entry into Canada, contact Berardi Immigration Law today and ask about applying for a Criminal Rehabilitation Permit. Watch the video below for more info and check out our related page, DWI Entry to Canada.

Temporary Solution

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) allows an individual to enter and/or stay in Canada for a specific period of time if a valid reason for entry can be established. A TRP is typically granted for one off, short trips. A TRP is a temporary solution to the 10 year ban on admissibility, but it provides individuals with an avenue for redress while they wait for a permanent solution to become available. TRPs are used in emergency situations, such as family illnesses or deaths.

Permanent Solution

A Criminal Rehabilitation application is a permanent solution to having a DWI on your record. Essentially, it is a petition to Canadian immigration authorities asking the government to forgive a prior DWI conviction. This option, however, is not immediately available. To be eligible, five years must have passed since the completion of all conditions related to your DWI sentence. If approved, the individual is given a fresh start in the eyes of the Canadian government and allowed to freely enter the country.

If you have any questions, contact Berardi Immigration Law today. We would love to hear from you.