Did you know that Canada recently introduced much tougher penalties for individuals convicted of driving under the influence? Canada’s new bill, titled the Impaired Driving Act, took effect on December 18, 2018 and now makes impaired driving a serious criminal offense in Canada. Convictions for DWI, DUI, DUAI, or DWAI were previously considered only criminal offenses in Canada.

This means that any individual with an impaired driving conviction may need a permit in order to enter Canada. This is because anyone that has ever been convicted for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is deemed “criminally inadmissible” to Canada. This can lead to an individual being criminally barred from Canada for a period of 10 years after conviction.

There are, however, legal remedies available for individuals with such a conviction on their record. There are several options that may help you regain access to Canada during a ten year restriction, but each will require meticulous planning, a good deal of effort, and a little help from our team here at Berardi Immigration Law.

Entering Canada With a DWI

MEET Tiffany McKenzie –
OUR Canadian attorney

Don’t guess whether you can enter Canada.

Rather, leave that to our Canadian immigration lawyers who will provide a full assessment of your admissibility. Don’t be fooled by Canadian “consultants.” Our Canadian lawyers are licensed and trained in the DWI industry. We have a strong track record of successful DWI applications.

Read Tiffany’s Bio


If you have a DWI on your record, there is still hope. It is still possible to gain entry to Canada, but you will need to correctly apply for and then successfully receive permission from Canadian immigration authorities to enter the country.

Temporary Solution

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) allows an individual to enter and/or stay in Canada for a specific period of time if a valid reason for entry can be established. A TRP is typically granted for one off, short trips. A TRP is a temporary solution to the 10 year ban on admissibility, but it provides individuals with an avenue for redress while they wait for a permanent solution to become available. TRPs are used in emergency situations, such as family illnesses or deaths.

Permanent Solution

A Criminal Rehabilitation application is a permanent solution to having a DWI on your record. Essentially, it is a petition to Canadian immigration authorities asking the government to forgive a prior DWI conviction. This option, however, is not immediately available. To be eligible, five years must have passed since the completion of all conditions related to your DWI sentence. If approved, the individual is given a fresh start in the eyes of the Canadian government and allowed to freely enter the country.

View our FAQs


Get your consultation today!