Skip to main content

Moving? Don't forget to tell Uncle Sam! AR-11 Tips and Pointers

If you are in the United States and not a U.S. citizen then you are required to file a change of address using Form AR-11 within 10 days of moving.  Excluded from this requirement are:

  • Dipolmats (A visas)
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (G visas), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.

Below is a step-by-step guide in assisting with the filing:
1. If you have NO PENDING CASES: File AR-11 online or by mail.  To file online, you will need the following information:

  • Full name, Status, County of Citizenship, Date of Birth, and A-number (if applicable)
  • Current Address and Last Address
  • Employer or School information: Name and Address
  • Last Entry into the U.S.: Port of Entry, Date of Entry, Date Status Expires

After filling out all of the information, you will select the “Signature” button.  By selecting the “Signature” button, you will be certifying under penalty of perjury that the information that you have provided is true and correct.
At the end of this process, you will be given the opportunity to download or print your completed Form AR-11 for your own records. Even though you are not required to print it out, it is highly recommended that you print, sign, and date it in permanent ink and keep a paper copy of the electronic submission for your own records. You do NOT need to mail a paper AR-11 if you completed it online.
2. If you have a pending OR recently approved application/petition (except VAWA, T, or U visa): Then you must file the AR-11 (online OR by mail) as indicated above AND change your address on any pending or recently approved applications/petitions.  This can be accomplished online or by phone at 1-800-375-5283.  By using the online system, then both steps are completed at the same time.
3. If you have a pending OR approved VAWA I-360, T (I-914), or U (I-918) visa AND you have also filed an I-485, I-765, I-601, I-192, I-131, or I-929: you must file Form AR-11 at the Vermont Service Center (75 Lower Welden Street, St. Albans, VT 05749).  You may NOT change your address online.
Please note:

  • You do NOT need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there;
  • If you are only present in the U.S. for 29 days or less, a change of address is not required;
  • Foreign nationals subject to Special Registration must file Form AR-11SR via mail only.  Online filing is not available; and
  • F, M, and J nonimmigrants must notify their Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) of any change of address.  They are NOT required to file Form AR-11.

Penalties for Failure to Comply
A willful failure to give written notice to USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime.  If convicted, you (or the parent or legal guardian of a foreign nation under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned for up to 30 days, or both.  The foreign national may also be subject to removal from the United States (INA § 266(b)).  Compliance with the requirement to notify USCIS of any address change is also a condition of your stay in the U.S.  Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.
If you have any questions about the requirement to file Form AR-11, please contact our office today.