Skip to main content

Bringing your Spouse to the U.S.


Information for Citizens
If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse is considered an immediate relative and is immediately eligible for an immigrant visa if your petition is approved. Generally, if your spouse is in the U.S. (through a lawful admission or parole) at the time you file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, your spouse may file a Form I-485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status at the same time. If he or she is outside the U.S., your spouse will need to go to the nearest U.S. consulate to apply for an immigrant visa.


Information for Lawful Permanent Residents
If you are a lawful permanent resident and your petition for your spouse is approved, your spouse will be notified by the Department of State when a visa number becomes available. If your spouse is outside of the United States at the time of notification, he or she must then go to the local U.S. consulate to complete visa processing. If your spouse is inside the U.S. through a lawful admission or parole and is maintaining that status at the time of notification, he or she may file the Form I-485 when the visa number becomes available. If that is not the case but the petition was filed on or before 04/30/01 , he or she may be eligible to benefit under section 245(i) .

If you do not have the visa number issued by the Department of State, you must wait for a number to become current. Your spouse may need to depart the United States to avoid accruing unlawful presence.

If you were married to your spouse before you became a permanent resident, your spouse may be eligible to receive following-to-join benefits. This means that you would not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, and your spouse would not have to wait any extra time for an immigrant visa to become available.


Conditional Residence
If you have been married less than two years when your spouse is granted lawful permanent resident status, your spouse will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. Please note – you must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days before the 2-year anniversary of the award date of your spouse’s conditional legal permanent resident status. If you fail to file during this time, your spouse will be considered out of status as of the 2-year anniversary, and may be subject to removal from the U.S.


How Do I File the Petition?
To find out how you can petition to have your spouse live in the U.S. permanently, please see contact us, and we will help you identify what you and your spouse need to do.

How Can I Check the Status of My Visa Petition?
To check the status of your visa petition, you will need to contact the USCIS office that received it.


Can My Spouse Come to the U.S. to Live While the Visa Petition Is Pending?
If you are a U.S. Citizen, once you file Form I-130, your spouse is eligible to apply for a nonimmigrant K-3 Visa. This will entitle him or her to come to the U.S. to live and work while the visa petition is pending. The Form to file for this benefit is Form I-129F. It is not necessary for your spouse to obtain a K-3 visa in order to come to the U.S. to live and work. Your spouse may wait abroad for immigrant visa processing. However, seeking a K-3 visa can be a method for him or her to come to the U.S. more quickly.

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and you have filed Form I-130 for your spouse and/or minor children on or before 12/21/00 , your spouse and/or children may be eligible for the V visa classification if more than three years have passed since the I-130 was filed. For more information about V visa eligibility, see the 9/07/01 INS News Release, “INS Implements ‘V’ Nonimmigrant Provision of the LIFE Act.”

Information courtesy of the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration website

Page Summary: Spouse’s of U.S. citizens and Permant Residents may be eligible for Permant Resident status in the U.S.