CBP Announces New Mobile Passport Control App
U.S. Customs and Border Protection recently announced the launch of the first authorized app to expedite a traveler’s entry process into the U.S. The app, Mobile Passport Control, or MPC, will allow eligible travelers to submit their passport information and customs declaration form via a Smartphone or tablet prior to CBP inspection.
The app was developed by Airside Mobile and Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) in partnership with CBP as part of a pilot program at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The app became available to eligible travelers arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International on Aug. 13. MPC is expected to expand to more airports later this year.
MPC currently provides U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors with a more efficient and secure in-person inspection between the CBP officer and the traveler upon arrival in the U.S. The app does not require pre-approval, is free to use and does not collect any information on travelers. As a result, travelers will experience shorter wait times, less congestion and faster processing. MPC is currently only available to iPhone and iPad users but plans to expand to Android Smartphone in fall of this year.
There are five steps to using MPC:
1. Download the Mobile Passport Control App from the Apple App Store prior to arriving.
2. Create a profile with your passport information.
3. Complete the “New Trip” section upon arrival in the United States.
4. Submit your customs declaration form through the app to receive an electronic receipt with an Encrypted Quick Response (QR) code. This receipt will expire four hours after being issued.
5. Bring your passport and Smartphone or tablet with your digital bar-coded receipt to a CBP officer.
Information about Mobile Passport, including how to download, user eligibility and other frequently asked questions, is available on the travel section of the www.CBP.gov website and also through the Airside Mobile website.
Remember, Berardi Immigration Law always helps you cross the border with confidence. If you have any questions about crossing the border, please schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today!