Skip to main content

Commuting to the U.S. as a Green Card Holder

In most cases, an individual who holds green card status in the U.S. must reside here permanently or they risk losing their status.  However, people who have been granted permanent resident status may live in Canada or Mexico even without maintaining a home in the U.S. if they commute regularly for employment in the U.S.
To qualify for commuter status, a foreign national must first obtain permanent residency either through an employment or family-based petition.  They must have “regular and stable” employment in the U.S. (although part-time or seasonal work may be acceptable) and they must live in a contiguous territory of the U.S. which limits commuters to Canada or Mexico.
To apply for commuter status, an individual must inform CBP at a border crossing of their intentions.  They will be required to complete paperwork every six months and will need to present evidence of their regular employment in the U.S.  CBP will then notate the green card to reflect alien commuter status.
If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and wish to convert your status to that of a commuter Berardi Immigration Law can help.  Rosanna Berardi appears at the Peace Bridge several times each week.  Please contact us by calling 877-721-6100 or send an e-mail by clicking here.
Page summary:  Lawful permanent residents may reside in Canada or Mexico as long as they intend on commuting back to the U.S. for employment on a regular basis and complete the necessary steps with CBP.