Extension of Interview Waivers for Certain Nonimmigrants
The Department of State (DOS) recently announced that it is extending its policy to waive in-person consular interviews for certain nonimmigrant applicants through December 31, 2023. Consular officers will have the authority to waive the interview requirement on a case-by-case basis for both first-time and renewing applicants. Individuals who hold the following nonimmigrant visa categories are eligible for this waiver:
- Academic Exchange Visitors (academic J visas),
- Athletes, Artists, and Entertainers (P visas),
- Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement (O visas),
- Intracompany Transferees (L visas),
- Participants in International Cultural Exchange Programs (Q visas)
- Persons in Specialty Occupations (H-1B visas),
- Students (F and M visas),
- Temporary Agricultural and Nonagricultural Workers (H-2 visas),
- Trainee or Special Education Visitors (H-3 visas).
In addition, any individuals holding a qualifying derivative, such as an H-4 visa, will be eligible for this waiver. This policy has effectively reduced visa appointment wait times at U.S. embassies and consulates by freeing up in-person interview appointments for other applicants who require an interview.
If you have any immigration questions. Be sure to contact our office today to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys. We’re here to help!