Skip to main content

FAQ on Advance Parole

Q: What is Advance Parole?

A: Advance Parole is a document for certain foreign nationals who do not have a valid immigrant or non-immigrant visa to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. If you fall in this category, you must be approved for Advance Parole PRIOR to leaving the U.S. In the case that you do not have Advance Parole before departing the U.S., you will not be permitted to re-enter the U.S. upon return. 

Q: Who should obtain Advance Parole?

A: If you are a foreign national in the U.S. and you wish to travel abroad, you should obtain Advance Parole if you have:

  1. Filed an Adjustment of Status application but have yet to receive a decision from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  2. Hold refugee or asylum status
  3. Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program
  4. Been granted Temporary Protected Status
  5. Have an asylum application pending

Q: What are the benefits of Advance Parole?

A: There are a couple of benefits of Advance Parole. First, it allows a foreign national to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad without the necessity of obtaining a visa. Second, it preserves the Adjustment of Status application pending with USCIS. 

Q: How do I get an Advance Parole?

A: You must file Form I-131 with USCIS. You will need supporting documentation, photos, and applicable fees.

Q: Who is not eligible for Advance Parole?

A: Foreign nationals in the U.S. are not eligible for Advance Parole if they are:

  • In the U.S without a valid immigration status
  • An exchange foreign national subject to the foreign residence requirement
  • In possession of a previously issued and valid re-entry permit or refugee travel document
  • The beneficiary of a private bill
  • Under removal proceedings 

Q: What other documents do I need in order to travel using Advance Parole?

A: Upon re-entry to the U.S., it is important to carry the following documents with you:

  • Foreign passport
  • Advance Parole document
  • Evidence of reason for the trip abroad
  • Employment authorization card
  • A copy of your DACA approval notice
  • State I.D. or driver’s license
  • Relevant medical documents
  • Your attorney’s business card with contact information

Q: Does Advance Parole guarantee admission into the U.S.?

A: No. Foreign nationals with Advance Parole are still subject to the immigration inspection process at the port of entry.

Q: What is the difference between Advance Parole and Re-entry Permit?

A: An Advance Parole Approval is issued to a foreign national who does not currently have permanent resident status, whereas a Re-entry Permit is issued to a permanent resident of the U.S. The two documents are also different in physical appearance with an Advance Parole being a single piece of paper with the foreign national’s photo, and the Re-entry Permit looking like a passport. Additionally, the Advance Parole functions like a U.S. visa, while a Re-entry Permit functions like a passport. Lastly, Advance Parole is valid for one year, while a Re-entry Permit is valid for two years.

If you have any other questions about Advance Parole, we would be more than happy to answer them for you. Contact our office today! We are just a couple clicks or a phone call away.