Frequently Asked Marriage-Based Green Card Interview Questions
Typically, Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status applications require both the applicant and the spouse to be present for an interview before the case can be approved. For many applicants, the thought of being interviewed by an immigration officer can be stressful and overwhelming. However, applicants who are well-prepared should not worry! The Green Card interview is more of a formality and typically lasts no longer than 30 minutes. It is often compared to a job interview.
Below we will list some sample interview questions you may be asked during your marriage-based green card interview. Please remember that there is no guarantee the officer will ask you any or all of these questions. This is meant to be used as a tool to help familiarize applicants with the types of questions that may be asked.
- Where did you meet?
- Where did you go on your first date?
- Were you introduced to each other’s friends?
- When did you realize you loved your spouse?
- Who proposed to whom?
- How did they propose?
- Where did you get married?
- How many people attended?
- What did your spouse wear?
- Did you have a reception or any type of celebration?
- Was there any type of entertainment?
- Who were the bridesmaids/groomsmen?
- What was the color scheme?
- What flavor was the wedding cake?
- Did you go on a honeymoon? If so, where?
- Who gets up first?
- How many alarms do you set?
- Who sleeps on what side of the bed?
- What do you each eat for breakfast?
- Who is your spouse’s employer?
- What time do you each arrive home from work?
- Who does the dishes?
- What day is your garbage picked up?
- Who takes care of the finances?
- Do you have any pets? Who takes care of it?
- Where do you keep the spare toilet paper?
- What size is your bed?
- How many windows are in your bedroom?
- Do you have a television in your bedroom?
- What color is your comforter?
- What kind of toothpaste do you use?
- Does your spouse read or watch television before bed?
- What kind of pajamas does your spouse wear?
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- How much is your mortgage or rent?
- Do you have a garage? Who parks in it?
- What color is your sofa?
- Where do house guests sleep?
- What type of window coverings do you have in your living room?
- How many bathrooms are in your house?
- Do you leave any lights on when you leave the house?
- Do you use the front, side or back door?
- How many times a week would you say you order take out?
- What is your favorite place to order pizza?
- What restaurant do you frequent as a couple?
- Who does most of the cooking?
- Who typically goes grocery shopping?
- Where do you get your groceries?
- What is your spouse’s favorite food?
- What color is your kitchen painted?
- Do you have a barbecue or grill?
- Is your stove gas or electric?
- Have you met each other’s families?
- How often do you see each other’s families?
- When was the last time you saw them?
- How do you typically celebrate holidays? For example, do you spend Thanksgiving with one family and Christmas with another?
- On holidays, do you buy each other’s family members gifts?
- How many brothers and sisters does your spouse have? What are their names?
- Does your spouse have any nieces or nephews?
- What television service do you use?
- What type of cell phone does your spouse have?
- Do you have a television show you like to watch together?
- How many computers are in the house?
- What is your wifi password?
- What kind of car does your spouse drive?
- Do they listen to the radio in the car? What station?
- When is your spouse’s birthday?
- When is your anniversary?
- What did your spouse get you for your last birthday?
- Do you celebrate any religious holidays or regularly attend church?
- What’s your spouse’s favorite holiday?
- Have you ever dressed up as a couple for Halloween?
- What did you do last New Year’s Eve?
- What movie did you last see together?
Get more tips on what to expect at your Adjustment of Status interview on our blog. If you are interested in applying for a Green Card or have questions regarding the Green Card interview process, please contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys!