Skip to main content

How do I obtain U.S. Citizenship?

Berardi Immigration Law is often contacted by individuals who want to obtain “U.S citizenship.”  Many times, what our clients really mean is permanent residency.  There are several requirements which must be met prior to applying for citizenship.
While U.S. citizenship is sometimes acquired at birth through transmission by a parent or grandparent, more often than not the process takes many years.
Before a person can apply for citizenship, they must first hold permanent resident status (“the green card“) for five years.  In cases where permanent residency was granted through marriage to a U.S. citizen, an individual may apply for citizenship in three years provided they remain married to the original sponsor.
In addition, the applicant must be deemed a person of good moral character and have the requisite physical presence in the United States among other things.  Typically a person must have been physically in the U.S. for at least half of the time leading up to their naturalization application being filed.
Rosanna Berardi represents clients in obtaining nonimmigrant status, conversion to permanent residency through the naturalization process.  We would be happy to work with you if you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney.  Please contact us by calling 877-721-6100 or send an e-mail by clicking here.
Page summary:  Permanent residency and U.S. citizenship are two different things.  In most cases, an applicant must first hold a green card for a certain period of time before they are eligible to apply for naturalization.