Immigration Help Available to Those Affected by Special Situations
Extreme circumstances can sometimes affect the processing of an individual’s USCIS application, petition, or immigration request. Fortunately, USCIS is available to help those affected by special situations, including the recent shooting in Uvalde, Texas. Those who have been personally affected by special situations may be eligible for the following measures upon request:
- Excused delays in filing times for certain petitions/applications including Requests for Evidence and changes/extensions of nonimmigrant statuses;
- Expedited processing/adjudication for certain petitions/applications;
- Consideration of fee waiver requests due to an inability to pay;
- Flexibility for missed appointments or interviews;
- Expedited replacement of lost or damaged USCIS issued travel or immigration documents including Green Cards, Employment Authorization Documents, or Form I-94.
When requesting help, it must be made clear how the impact of the extreme situations or unforeseen circumstances led to the need for the requested relief. USCIS will determine whether the above measures can be taken on a case-by-case basis. To request these measures, call USCIS at 800-375-5283. For more information on what relief USCIS may be able to provide, please visit their website.
If you have immigration related questions, be sure to contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.