Skip to main content

L-1 Visa Holders Can Request L-2 Status for Spouses and Dependents

Berardi Immigration Law processes a lot of intercompany transfers or L-1 visa applications. The L-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows companies operating both in the U.S. and abroad to transfer employees from the foreign operation to the U.S.  You can learn more about L-1 visas on our blog post at
L-1 visa holders often wish to bring their spouse and children into the United States to either visit or live. Married spouses and dependent children under the age of 21 can obtain L-2 status to enter the United States.
What is L-2 status
L-2 is the dependent category of L-1A and L-1B visas. It is for the spouse and children of the L-1 status holders.
Obtaining L-2 status
The process for obtaining L-2 status is dependent on the applicant’s nationality. Your immigration attorney will ask a series of questions that will help them identify the appropriate way to obtain this status. Documentation required includes evidence of the principal alien’s L-1A or L-1B status, identity documents for the L-2 dependent, and evidence of the relationship of the dependent to the principal alien (marriage certificate or long form birth certificate).
Privileges and Limitations of L-2 status
L-2 status holders are granted a variety of benefits during the duration of their stay in the United States. These benefits include the ability to:
• Reside in the U.S. for the duration of the L-1 principal alien’s authorized duration of stay;
• Engage in full-time or part-time study in the U.S.; and
• Travel in and out of the U.S.
If the L-2 alien is the spouse of the L-1 principal alien, the L-2 individual is allowed to work in the U.S. after obtaining an Employment Authorization Card from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. To learn more about Employment Authorization, see our blog at
For more information on L-2 status for spouses and dependents of L-1 visa holders, please contact Berardi Immigration Law for a consultation.