Skip to main content

Memorial Day Travel Tips

As Memorial Day approaches and people gear up for a long weekend, it’s important to keep a few tips in mind that might make traveling over the long weekend easier. 

Green Card Holders 

If you are traveling as a permanent resident, temporary or brief travel does not typically affect your status. You can leave the U.S with your green card and passport, so long as you do not intend to remain outside of the U.S. for longer than six months. 

No matter where you are traveling, it’s always a good idea to keep your green card on you. You must also always have your valid, un-expired passport when traveling outside of the U.S. Without it, you will not be able to leave or re-enter the country. 

Nonimmigrant Visa Holders 

If you have multiple visa stamps, be sure to use the correct one to enter the country. When you re-enter, you are in the category in which you were admitted, and which appears on your electronic I-94 document. 


If you are a citizen of a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program, you are allowed to enter the U.S as a temporary visitor without first obtaining a visa stamp in your passport. You will only be allowed to remain in the U.S for 90 days maximum and will not be eligible for benefits or employment. 

Be sure to contact Berardi Immigration Law for all of your U.S. immigration related questions!