Skip to main content

USCIS Guidance on Paying the N-400 Naturalization Application Fee With a Credit Card

USCIS Guidance on Paying the N-400 Naturalization Application Fee2
Applicants applying for Naturalization can now pay the N-400 naturalization application fee using a credit card with no additional fees added. Form N-400 is the only form that can be paid using a credit card. USCIS has valuable guidelines on the process of paying the application fee that must be followed in order to ensure that applications are accepted.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards can be used when paying the application fee. Gift cards with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover logos are also accepted by USCIS. If you choose to pay by credit card or gift card, it is required that you pay the entire fee using a single card. Applicants are urged to confirm that there are sufficient funds on the credit card or gift card to cover the entire fee. USCIS will reject applications if payment is declined.
To pay by credit card, applicants must fill out Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transaction. Place your completed Form G-1450 on top of your completed Form N-400 and mail your application package to the address indicated on the Form N-400 web page. Once the USCIS receives your completed application package, your card will be charged for the filing and biometric services fee. To confirm that your card was charged, your statement should say “USCIS N400 Paym”. Regardless if your application is accepted or denied, the USCIS strongly encourages applicants to destroy any copies that were made of their completed Form G-1450 after the application fee payment is processed.
When applying with multiple or combined applications, you must pay for each application using a single payment method. When paying by credit card, each application has to be submitted with their own completed Form G-1450. Applications will be rejected if you submit either, include one Form G-1450 with multiple applications, pay by a split payment method (example: paying by check and credit card for one application), or Pay by a mix of money orders, check, and credit card authorizations together for multiple applications.
For examples on how to submit multiple applications correctly please click here.
If your application for Naturalization is rejected, the USCIS will destroy your Form G-1450 and will send you a notice explaining any changes that need to be made in your Form N-400. Once necessary corrections are made, applicants can submit a new Form G-1450 with their corrected Form N-400 application following the instructions included in your rejection notice.
If you have any questions regarding your Form N-400 application or are interested in applying for U.S. citizenship please contact our office to speak to one of our knowledgeable attorneys today!