Entering the U.S. as an Investor (E-1 & E-2)

The E nonimmigrant visa category is intended for business owners, managers, and employees who seek to enter or remain in the U.S. to work for an enterprise engaged in trade between the U.S. and a foreign country. The E nonimmigrant category is only available if a “treaty of commerce and navigation” or a “bilateral investment treaty” exists between the U.S. and a foreign country. In general, the following requirements must be met to qualify for E nonimmigrant status: a treaty must exist between the U.S. and foreign country; a majority ownership or control of the investing or trading company must be held by nationals of the foreign country; and Foreign citizenship must be held by each employee or principal of the company who seeks E status under the treaty. Requirements for E-1 Treaty Trader The requisite treaty or equivalent exists. For Canadian citizens, there is a treaty between the U.S. and Canada so this is satisfied. For landed immigrants to Canada, there must be a similar treaty between the U.S. and the applicant’s country of nationality. The individual and/or business possesses the nationality of the treaty country. For Canadian citizens, a copy of the passport, birth certificate, or citizen card […]
Continue Reading