Skip to main content

Not A Specialized Worker? Alternative Employment Visa Categories

The H-1B visa is just one of various options available to foreign nationals seeking to work in the United States.  Our firm is well qualified to assist you in obtaining a visa in a category for which you are qualified, including these other frequently utilized categories:
L-1 Nonimmigrant Visa: Intracompany Transferees
The L-1 visa category applies to aliens who work for a company with a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate in the U.S. These workers come to the U.S. as intracompany transferees who are coming temporarily to perform services in either a managerial or executive capacity (L-1A) or a position which entails specialized knowledge (L-1B).
TN Nonimmigrant Visa: Employment for Canadian and Mexican Nationals
TN employment must be in a profession listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 to NAFTA and the TN employee must possess the credentials to be considered a professional in one of the listed fields.  Among the list of designated TN professions are: accountants, registered nurses, engineers, lawyers, research assistants, librarians, hotel managers, and a variety of other occupations.  Usually, a baccalaureate degree and/or appropriate licensing are required.  Click here to view the full NAFTA list of professions.
Musicians, Athletes & Performers (O-1 & P-1)

The P-1 classification applies to aliens coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, either individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance.   The O category is reserved for “aliens of extraordinary ability” in the sciences, arts (including television and motion pictures), education, business, or athletics.