Skip to main content

Notifying USCIS of a Change of Address

Nearly every alien holding status in the U.S is required to inform USCIS of a change of address to a new non-temporary residence. Specifically, aliens residing in the U.S. are required to report this change within 10 days of relocating within the U.S. The only individuals who are exempt from this rule include diplomats, official government representatives to an international organization, and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are physically present in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days.
If you fall within one of the following categories, you are legally obligated to comply with the requirements below:
Alien with No Pending Application(s) with USCIS
File Form AR-11 (Change of Address) online or by mail. Click here to access the Online Change of Address system. If completing the form online, you will not need to file a paper Form AR-11. If filing Form AR-11 through the mail, USCIS strongly recommends that you use certified, registered, or return receipt mail.
Alien with Pending Application(s) OR Recently Approved Application(s)
File Form AR-11 (online or by mail) AND change your address on any pending or recently approved applications. This second step can be completed online or via telephone by calling 1-800-375-5283. Using the Online Change of Address system will allow you to complete both steps simultaneously. That is, once you have completed Form AR-11 online, the system will give you an opportunity to change your address on any pending or recently approved application. Again, you do not have to file a paper Form AR-11 if you have also done so online.
U.S. Citizen with Pending Application(s)
U.S. citizens with pending cases must make a change of address on these applications via the Online Change of Address system or by calling the number listed above.
U.S. Citizen Who Has Previously Submitted Form I-864
U.S. citizens who do not have an application pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted this form, you are required to complete Form I-865 within 30 days of your move.
Compliance with the rules outlined above is imperative. Each willful failure to give written notice to USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you can be fined up to $200 and even imprisoned for up to 30 days. Moreover, such an alien may be subject to removal from the U.S. In short, compliance with the notification requirement must be viewed as a condition of your stay in the U.S.
Please contact Berardi Immigration Law today if you are interested in pursuing a visa or permanent resident status in the U.S., or if you have any questions about this change of address requirement.