Phasing to ‘Next Generation’ NEXUS Kiosks has Begun
The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) has announced that they will begin to replace the current NEXUS kiosks with “next generation” kiosks. The new kiosks will be faster and more reliable, in addition to increasing the efficiency of services in air travel.
For those unfamiliar with the program, under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the NEXUS card is an approved alternative to the passport for air, land and sea travel into the United States and Canada for U.S. and Canadian citizens. The program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing through designated lanes.
The installation of the new kiosks has begun with the Macdonald-Cartier International Airport in Ottawa. Other Canadian airports that offer NEXUS should receive new kiosks by late October or early November.
CBSA has also issued the following list of instructions for using the new kiosks:
1. Be sure to have your NEXUS card ready;
2. Select your language of choice before inserting your NEXUS card into the document reader;
3. When prompted, insert your NEXUS card into the document reader;
4. Ensure the card is picture side up and fully inserted into the reader;
5. Leave the card in the reader until instructed to remove it;
6. You will receive audio instructions advising you to look into the mirror;
7. You will use the arrows located on the mirrors to adjust, ensuring that you see both eyes;
8. Look into the mirror, moving slightly forward or backward until you see the circle centered between your eyes change from orange to green; and
9. Follow the instructions on the screen to answer the questions on the monitor.
NEXUS cards allow for expedited processing, as well as minimal customs and immigration questioning. If you are interested in applying for a NEXUS card, or would like more information, please visit http://Users/davidlewis/Sites/berardi/app/public.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus.
If you would like assistance in crossing the border with confidence, please schedule a consultation with one of our attorney’s today!