Sequester expected to impact travel to and from the U.S.
Two weeks following major U.S. budget cuts, the sequestration order already is resulting in lengthening lines of passenger and commercial traffic at U.S. ports of entry, including both land crossings and international airports.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) has indicated that this summer will be extremely busy at the Peace Bridge. Berardi Immigration Law encourages our clients and frequent travelers to apply for NEXUS or Global Entry. These programs are designed to expedite the border clearance process for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States.
- Nexus is available for U.S. and Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Applicants must pass various criminal history and law enforcement checks by both countries.
- Application fee is $50 (CAN or USD)
- Learn more: http://Users/davidlewis/Sites/berardi/app/public.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/nexus.xml
- Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens, and Mexican nationals. (Note: certain visa classifications are not available for the program.)
- All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and interview before enrollment.
- Application fee is $100 (USD)
- Learn more: http://Users/davidlewis/Sites/berardi/app/public.globalentry.gov/index.html
Applications can be submitted through the on-line application system, Global On-Line Enrollment System (GOES): https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes
Immigration Attorneys at Berardi Immigration Law accompany clients to the Peace Bridge port-of-entry on an almost daily basis. To speak with an attorney regarding how we may assist you with your U.S. entry or immigration needs, contact our office to schedule a consultation.