TN Spotlight: Dietitian
The TN category permits citizens of Canada and Mexico to enter the U.S. to provide prearranged professional services to a U.S. entity. Under the regulations, there are 63 professional occupations under which an individual may qualify. One such occupation is a Dietitian.
How to Qualify for TN Status as a Dietitian
To qualify for TN visa status as a Dietitian, an individual must possess one of the following:
- Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or
- State/Provincial License.
Typical Dietitian Job Duties
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Dietitians are experts in using food and nutrition to promote health and manage disease. They advise people on what to eat to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve specific health-related goals. Typical job duties include:
- Assessing patients’ nutritional and health needs
- Counseling patients on nutrition issues and healthy eating habits
- Developing meal and nutrition plans that align with the patients’ preferences and budget
- Monitoring and evaluating the effects of the meal plans
- Updating patients’ meal plans as needed
- Documenting patients’ progress
- Speaking to groups about diet, nutrition, and how eating habits can help prevent or manage specific diseases
- Creating educational materials about healthy food choices
- Keeping up with and contributing to the latest food and nutritional science research
While most Dietitians have similar job duties, there are several specialties: Clinical Dietitians typically work in hospitals and other medical institutions to provide medical nutrition therapy; Community Dietitians counsel the public on nutrition and health and often work in government and nonprofit agencies; and Management Dietitians plan food programs and work in food service settings like cafeterias and schools.
For citizens of Canada, applicants can submit a TN petition to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at any land port of entry or airport preclearance location throughout Canada. A decision will be made on the spot, and, if approved, the applicant may begin working in the U.S. the same day.
For citizens of Mexico, applicants need to schedule and attend an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico. Upon approval, the applicant will be issued a TN visa inside his or her passport, which can then be used to gain entry to the U.S. in TN status.
Berardi Immigration Law regularly helps individuals obtain TN status and provides an individualized approach for each client. If you study or work as a Dietitian and want to expand your career to the United States, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today!
Posted 28 October 2020