TN Spotlight: Mathematician
The TN category permits citizens of Canada and Mexico to enter the U.S. to provide prearranged professional services to a U.S. entity. Under the regulations, there are 63 professional occupations under which an individual may qualify. One such occupation is a Mathematician.
How to Qualify for TN Status as a Mathematician
To qualify for TN visa status as a Mathematician, an individual must possess a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree.
Mathematician also encompasses the profession of Actuary. In order to qualify for TN status as an actuary, an individual must meet the requirements to be recognized as an actuary by a professional actuarial association or society.
Typical Mathematician Job Duties
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Mathematicians analyze data and apply mathematical techniques to help solve real-world problems in business, engineering, healthcare, or other fields.
Typical job duties include:
- Developing new mathematical rules, theories, and concepts in areas such as algebra and geometry
- Deciding what data is needed to answer specific questions or problems
- Applying mathematical theories and techniques to solve practical problems in business, engineering, the sciences, and other fields
- Developing mathematical or statistical models to analyze data
- Interpreting data and reporting conclusions drawn from their analyses
- Using data analysis to support and improve business decisions
For citizens of Canada, applicants can submit a TN petition to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at any land port of entry or airport preclearance location throughout Canada. A decision will be made on the spot, and, if approved, the applicant may begin working in the U.S. the same day.
For citizens of Mexico, applicants need to schedule and attend an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico. Upon approval, the applicant will be issued a TN visa inside his or her passport, which can then be used to gain entry to the U.S. in TN status.
Berardi Immigration Law regularly helps individuals obtain TN status and provides an individualized approach for each client. If you study or work as a Mathematician and want to expand your career to the United States, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today!
Published 4 November 2020