Skip to main content

U.S. Citizens Can File Form I-130 Petitions on Behalf of Afghan, Ethiopian, and Ukrainian Immediate Relatives Fleeing Conflict

According to the U.S. Department of State, if you are a U.S. citizen who is physically present overseas with immediate family members from Ukraine, Ethiopia, or Afghanistan, you may request to locally file a Form I-130 petition at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate that can process immigrant visas.

This new ruling applies only to U.S. citizens who are currently affected by the large-scale conflicts occurring in Afghanistan, Ethiopia, and Ukraine. To file a petition, the U.S. citizen must also be physically present in the country where they wish to file. They can request to file locally on behalf of their spouses, parents, or unmarried children under the age of 21 who fled Afghanistan after August 2nd, 2021; Ethiopia after November 1st, 2021; or Ukraine after February 1st, 2022. 

If you or a family member meet these requirements and wish to file a Form I-130 petition, you can contact your closest local embassy via email or by traveling there in person. A list of U.S. embassies and consulates is available at

Be sure to subscribe to Berardi Immigration Law’s social media channels to stay up to date on all of the latest immigration related news!