Skip to main content

U.S. LPRs Must Now Have an eTA When Flying to Canada

Canada flag and beautiful Canadian landscapesThe Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new Canadian entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. U.S. permanent residents must have an eTA when flying to or transiting through Canada. This requirement began on March 15, 2016. An eTA is not required when entering by land or sea.

However, between March 15, 2016 and Sept. 29, 2016, travelers who do not have an eTA can board their flights as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this time, border service officers will let travelers arriving without an eTA into the country as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. The other requirements are:

  • be in good health;
  • have no criminal or immigration related offenses;
  • convince an immigration official you have ties that will take you back to your country (such as a job, a home, financial assets or family);
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit; and
  • have enough money for your stay.

If you are a U.S. permanent resident expecting to fly into or through Canada, it is best to apply for your eTA as soon as possible. Applying is a simple and inexpensive online process that only takes a few minutes to complete. The application costs $7 CDN and you will need your passport, a credit card, internet access, and an email address to apply. In most cases, eTA is granted within minutes of applying.

To apply, please visit

If you have questions or concerns on visiting the U.S., please contact our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today!