Skip to main content

USCIS Automatically Extends Green Cards for Naturalization Applicants

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently announced that it has updated its policies by automatically extending the validity of Green Cards for lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who apply for naturalization. This policy update is expected to help naturalization applicants who experience longer processing times by reducing the number of Alien Documentation, Identification, and Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp appointments in field offices and the number of Form I-90s, Application to Replace Permanent Resident (Green Card), filed, which allows for these resources to be focused on other immigration benefit adjudications.

Previously, applicants either needed to file Form I-90 or receive an ADIT stamp in their passport to serve as evidence of their lawful status while applying for naturalization. Now, LPRs who properly file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, may receive this extension without regard to whether they filed Form I-90. USCIS will update the language on Form N-400 receipt notices to extend Green Cards for up to 24 months for these applicants. The receipt notice can be presented with the expired Green Card as evidence of continued status as well as identity and employment authorization under List A of Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9), if presented before the expiration of the 24-month extension period provided in the notice.

The extension will apply to all applicants who file Form N-400 on or after Dec. 12, 2022. Those who filed for naturalization prior to Dec. 12 will not receive a Form N-400 receipt notice with the extension. If the LPR’s Green Card expires, they generally must still file Form I-90 or receive an ADIT stamp in their passport, in order to maintain valid evidence of their LPR status. Additionally, LPRs who lose their Green Card generally must still file Form I-90, even if they have applied for naturalization and received the automatic extension under this updated policy. Applicants who require an ADIT stamp may request an appointment at a USCIS Field Office by contacting the USCIS Contact Center.

If you have any questions about this Green Card extension, please contact us at Berardi Immigration Law today!