Skip to main content

USCIS Update on Expedited EADs for Healthcare and Childcare Workers

Here is a an update on expedited EADs for healthcare and childcare workers in the US.

Expedited Processing of EADs for Healthcare and Childcare Workers

Any healthcare workers or childcare workers who have a valid immigration status and have an initial Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) that has been pending for over 90 days can request expedited processing. Previously, USCIS allowed this flexibility for qualifying healthcare and childcare workers with a pending employment authorization document (EAD) renewal application, whose EAD is expiring within 30 days or has already expired. Now, USCIS is extending this flexibility to include initial EAD applications that have been pending for over 90 days for healthcare and childcare workers.

Eligibility for Expedited Processing of EADs 

Eligibility for healthcare workers is based on this DHS advisory memorandum (“Healthcare / Public Health” section, pages 7-9) (PDF). Eligibility for childcare workers is based on the U.S. Department of Labor’s Standard Occupational Classification (“SOC”) code 39-9011 (“Childcare Workers”), which includes workers who “attend to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions” and “perform a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play.” However, this definition does not include preschool teachers or teaching assistants.

Requesting Expedited Processing of EADs

If you are a healthcare worker or a childcare worker who has an EAD application that meets the above criteria, you can call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833) to request expedited processing of your EAD application based on your professional field. 

Additional information

Be prepared to provide evidence of your profession or current or immediate prospective employment as a healthcare worker or a childcare worker (such as an Employment Verification Letter, recent earnings statement, or pay stubs) and current valid immigration status. If the evidence you provide is not sufficient, USCIS may not accommodate your request for expedited processing of your Form I-765. 

For more information on expedite requests, contact our office today to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys!