Skip to main content

WHTI – Approved Border Entry Documents

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Travel between the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands is not affected.
The goal of the initiative is to strengthen border security while making entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate international travelers more efficient and convenient.
As of June 1, 2009, all travelers aged 16 and over must present one of the following approved documents for entry to the U.S. at any land or sea port of entry:

  • U.S. Passport book or Passport card;
  • Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST);
  • State issued Enhanced Driver’s License (only available in certain states);
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available);
  • U.S. Military Identification WITH Military Travel Orders;
  • U.S. Merchant Marine document; or
  • Form I-872, American Indian Card

Children under the age of 16 may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization certificate for entry.
Click here to view a flyer from Customs and Border Protection that further explains each of the approved documents listed above.
Page Summary: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires travelers to present approved documents at any land or sea port of entry.