Skip to main content

Criminal Waivers

If you reside in Canada and have been advised by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBP) that you need a criminal waiver to enter the U.S., be sure to call Berardi Immigration Law to schedule a consultation.  We will personally review your case, determine if CBPs assessment is valid, and help you formulate a strategy to secure your future admissibility from Canada into the U.S.

If you’ve ever been arrested in Canada or anywhere in the world, you may require advanced permission to enter the U.S. as a nonimmigrant, also known as a nonimmigrant waiver.  Persons with criminal charges and/or convictions may be inadmissible to the United States regardless of how long ago it was or how minor the charges.  Typical offenses that render a person inadmissible include, but are not limited to: fraud, theft, other crimes involving moral turpitude, or crimes relating to controlled substances.  Additionally, persons previously removed or denied entry from the U.S. may also be inadmissible.

Have questions about your case?

Or want to know if our team is a good fit for your needs?

Contact Us

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has access to certain foreign criminal record databases, therefore any individual with a criminal record runs the risk of being denied entry to the U.S., even if it is only for a brief visit.  As technology advances and access to criminal record databases increase, it is not uncommon for an individual to learn they are inadmissible decades after a triggering incident and prior entries to the U.S. without issue. 

Please note that Canadian pardons are NOT recognized by the United States and a U.S. nonimmigrant waiver is still required for entry.  Do not waste your money on a Canadian pardon; it will not help your border-crossing problems. The U.S. government does NOT recognize foreign pardons.

Applying for a Nonimmigrant Waiver via CBP’s Electronic Secured Adjudication Forms Environment (e-SAFE)

What is e-SAFE?

e-SAFE is the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) new online system that allows eligible nonimmigrants who do not require a visa to enter the United States, such as citizens of Canada, to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility via Form I-192.

Beginning mid-year 2019, eligible citizens of visa exempt countries can apply online using Form I-192 through e-SAFE.  Applicants who complete electronic filing via e-SAFE will need to go to an e-SAFE designated port of entry within 45-days to complete the biometrics portion (fingerprints and photograph) of the waiver process. 

Applicants who submit their applications online will be able to check the status and progression of their application, receive electronic communications, and receive electronic notification of a decision in near real time. The processing time for waiver applications submitted online via e-SAFE are significantly less than the traditional paper form applications manually submitted at the port of entry.

Required Documentation

The following documents must be submitted to CBP via the e-SAFE portal: 

Additional Optional Documentation

The following documents are recommended optional documents that can be submitted including: 

The Berardi Immigration Law Process

Our goal at Berardi Immigration Law is to make this process as seamless as possible. We will create your account in the e-SAFE portal, input the necessary information, upload the required documents, and submit the application. Once submitted, we will send a physical copy of the waiver application to take with you to the designated port of entry to complete the biometrics portion of the waiver process. After your biometrics are taken, your application will be adjudicated by the Admissibility Review Office (ARO) and a decision will be made.  As mentioned above, we will receive an email notification once the decision has been made and notify you immediately. 

Petty Offense Exception

Generally, a noncitizen who is convicted of, or formally admits committing one Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT), is inadmissible to the U.S. without a nonimmigrant waiver.  However, there is an exception, commonly referred to as the “Petty Offense Exception,” that when applicable means a noncitizen is actually admissible to the U.S. 

A petty offense exception will apply if:

It is necessary to look at the criminal code for the year the offense occurred.  Petty Offense Exceptions are governed by the maximum penalty for that offense at the time the offense occurred.  Therefore, even if you only paid a fine or served time that was less than one year, if the maximum penalty written in the law for that offense requires serving over a year, then that will govern.  Please note, the Petty Offense Exception does NOT apply to drug related offenses.

Additional Resources

If you’d like to stay up to date on immigration news and issues that may impact you, you can get updates by email.  Click here to sign up now.  We also recommend checking out our YouTube and following us on LinkedIn for the latest developments and updates.  If you have any questions or want to schedule a consultation, contact Berardi Immigration Law today


Related Posts

  • What You Need to Know About the CBP’s DNA Collection Program

    The CBP is collecting DNA from some nonimmigrant visa holders. What does this mean for you? Watch the video below to find out – and you might be interested in our previous blog post, When Will USCIS Reuse Biometrics. If you have any questions, contact Berardi Immigration Law today. We would love to hear from […]
    Read More
  • Does my criminal history make me inadmissible to the U.S.?

    According to the Immigration and Nationality Act, individuals are deemed inadmissible to the United States on criminal grounds if they are convicted of OR admit the essential elements of: A crime involving moral turpitude or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime or; A violation of any law regulation of a State, the […]
    Read More
  • Now is a Good Time to Apply for a Nonimmigrant Waiver

    A nonimmigrant waiver allows you to come to the US on a temporary visa and waives most grounds of inadmissibility. Watch the video below with updates from Zach Ahlstrom and read more about using E-SAFE to submit nonimmigrant waivers on the Berardi Blog. If you have any questions, contact Berardi Immigration Law today. We would […]
    Read More
  • Crossing the Border: E-SAFE for Expired Nonimmigrant Waivers

    Do you have an expired nonimmigrant waiver, and waiting for the U.S. land border to reopen before renewing? Well, now is the time! Luckily, the procedure has been streamlined, and you can find out more in the video below. If you have any questions, contact Berardi Immigration Law today. We would love to hear from […]
    Read More
  • Crossing the Border: e-SAFE

    There’s a lot of confusion at the border lately. Luckily, there is one bright spot. Berardi Immigration Law Associate Attorney Gabriella Agostinelli has the details in this Crossing the Border update. Do you need a waiver to apply for TN or L-1 status? In 2020, the U.S. government started to process waiver applications using e-SAFE. […]
    Read More
  • COVID-19 & Its Impact On Nonimmigrant Waiver Applications

    Form I-192 allows inadmissible nonimmigrant aliens to apply for advance permission to temporarily enter the United States. Due to COVID-19 restrictions and the Canadian Border closing, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has stopped accepting waiver applications and is not processing I-192 biometrics for e-SAFE pending applications.  Originally, the I-192 filing fee was supposed to increase from $585 […]
    Read More
  • B Visa: What is it? What can you do with it?

    In general, when a citizen of a foreign country wishes to enter the United States, the foreign national must first obtain a visa. The visa allows a foreign national to travel to a U.S. port of entry and request permission of a U.S. immigration official to enter the United States. While Canadian Citizens are required to present a valid passport at the port of entry, they typically do not need a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying…
    Read More
  • Legalization of Marijuana in Canada and its Implications for Cross-border Travel

    The Canadian Senate passed a bill on June 19, 2018, that will allow for the legalization of recreational marijuana. The bill passed the Senate with a vote of 52-29. This was a historic moment, since Canada is only the second country in the world and the first G7 country to allow a nationwide marijuana market. This […]
    Read More
  • Marijuana at the Canada/US Border & the Criminal Waiver Process

    In April 2017, the Canadian federal government introduced legislation with a goal of legalizing and regulating the use of recreational marijuana. If passed, the proposed Federal Cannabis Act would create rules for producing, possessing, and selling cannabis across Canada. Under the Act, provinces and territories will regulate distribution and retail of non-medical cannabis, minimum age, […]
    Read More